Illini Hillel is proud and excited to offer the Bernard Heerey Family Foundation Scholarship for the 2021 Spring semester.
This scholarship is aimed at enhancing Jewish learning and ritual at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign through practice and learning.
The Bernard Heerey Family Foundation Scholarship recipients will commit to participate in Jewish learning and prayer services on a daily basis. The Bernard Heerey Scholars will help lead and support Jewish prayer, Jewish learning and Jewish practice at the University of Illinois.
The scholarship fund will grant $2,000 tuition scholarships to up to 36 students each semester. Students must be enrolled at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (or accepted admission if they are incoming students). The scholarships will be paid directly to the University of Illinois’ student tuition accounts. Students will be able to re-apply for continued scholarship the following semester and will be considered, as long as they fulfilled their commitment in the prior semester.
• Student must be willing to commit to regularly attending Jewish prayer services and Jewish learning sessions on the University of Illinois campus.
• Must be enrolled at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
• Applications for Spring 2021 are due January 30th 2021
• Applications for Fall 2021 are accepted on a rolling basis. Prospective students are welcome to apply.
• Interviews for the scholarship will be set after receipt of the application.
• Scholarship awardees will receive notification within a month of the application submission.
• Signed acceptance letter must be received back at Hillel for the scholarship to be formalized.
About the Bernard Heerey
Family Foundation Scholarship
The Karson family scholarship fosters Jewish student leadership at the University of Illinois. The award goes to an incoming freshman at the beginning of each fall semester.
The fund was established in memory of the beloved Brett, Bill and Thelma, University of Illinois alumni and loving parents and grandparents.